I have been very fortunate to be able to help out in my daughter's first grade classroom the second half of this school year and be one of the class' garden docents. I look forward to it all week. It is so fun to get to know all the kids. I try to connect with as many of the students as I can. I figure these are the other humans that are likely to be in my daughter's life (and mine) for the next decade and a half. I want to know them and I want them to know me.
I look across the class somedays and imagine who they will each become. And I hope I can still say hi in the halls when they are in high school even if that hi is actually a tiny little nod and fleeting eye contact. These kids are part of my community and even the ones who are already having a tougher go of it, I want to be an adult in their life however minor who saw them and smiled at them. Many aren't likely to remember past the moment, but it's important to me anyway. I try connect as a human and only use my authority card when needed. Packs a bigger punch. This is the luxury of only being around once a week. It's like being an auntie vs. mom. Mom is worn out and has had that same irritating behavior plague her for an eternity, whereas it's new to Auntie and she can provide respite to both parties!
Thursday, May 10, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment